Advisory Group on Lifelong Learning Opportunities
As a globally recognized research institution and a leader in post-secondary education, the University of Toronto has long been acknowledged as a significant contributor to the advancement of knowledge at the undergraduate and graduate levels. However, our commitment to education also extends to virtually all life stages and across a wide range of sectors.
It has been many years since we have had the chance to review systematically our wide range of offerings and activities in these additional areas. The convergence of several wider and local factors – such as the increased demand for retraining as technology disrupts and reshapes traditional industries and occupations, the broad-scale shift to and acceptance of online learning, the robust success of our School of Continuing Studies, and the imminent retirement of its Dean, Dr. Maureen MacDonald – has led us to embark on this examination and consideration of lifelong learning opportunities at the University
Additionally, in 2018-19, the University’s Budget Model Review examined ways to ensure that the University will continue to thrive in challenging economic conditions while preserving and protecting core University values and standards of excellence. As part of this review, the Alternative Funding Sources Advisory Group (AFSAG) identified continuing education and skills-upgrading – both significant components of lifelong learning – as key areas for future University development and innovation.
The Advisory Group on Lifelong Learning Opportunities will provide strategic advice and recommendations with respect to the current and future offering of for-credit and not-for-credit continuing education, professional development, skills-upgrading, micro-credentials, and other lifelong learning initiatives at the University of Toronto. The Advisory Group’s general mandate will be to
- Consider the role of lifelong learning in the context of the University’s overall mission and mandate,
- Examine existing continuing and executive education offerings across University divisions,
- Explore delivery models and approaches to lifelong learning employed at comparator institutions, and
- Provide recommendations for the structure, coordination, enhancement and expansion of U of T’s offerings in this area.
The Advisory Group will deliver its report to the Provost in Spring 2021.
Questions about the Provost’s Advisory Group on Lifelong Learning Opportunities can be sent to email@example.com.
- Glen Jones, Dean, Ontario Institute for the Study of Education (Chair)
- Ken Corts, Interim Dean, Rotman School of Management
- Amrita Daniere, Vice-Principal (Academic) and Dean, UTM
- Laurie Harrison, Director, Online Learning Strategies, Office of the Chief Information Officer
- Julia Knapp, Executive Director, Alumni Engagement, Division of University Advancement
- Tanya Kreinin, AVP and Head of Institution-wide Brand Strategy and Integrated Marketing, U of T Communications
- Daniella Mallinick, Director, Academic Programs, Planning & Quality Assurance, Office of the Vice-Provost, Academic Programs
- Derek Newton, Assistant Vice-President, Innovation, Partnerships and Entrepreneurship, Office of the Vice-President, Research and Innovation, and Strategic Initiatives
- Forrest Parlee, Director, Government Relations and Public Policy, Government Relations Office
- Trevor Rodgers, Assistant Vice-President, Planning & Budget
- Suzan Schneeweiss, Associate Dean, Continuing Professional Development, Temerty Faculty of Medicine
- Mary Silcox, Vice-Dean, Graduate, UTSC
- Kimberley Tull, Director, Community & Learning Partnerships and Access Pathways, UTSC
- Linda White, Professor and Chair in Economic and Public Policy, Department of Political Science, Faculty of Arts & Science
- Maureen MacDonald, Dean, School of Continuing Studies (Assessor)
- Susan McCahan, Vice-Provost, Academic Programs (Assessor)
- Mark Schmuckler, Acting Vice-Provost, Academic Programs (Assessor) – from January 1, 2021
- Andrea Kwan, Special Projects Officer, Office of the Vice-President & Provost (Project Manager)
Related Documents & Resources
Materials related to the Committee will be posted here as they become available.