Standing Committee on Recognition
The Standing Committee on Recognition is responsible for reviewing requests to assess a person, institution, company, or similar entity honoured or commemorated by the University of Toronto in an act of naming or in the awarding of an honorary degree. Their work will commence in January 2024.
Standing Committee Membership
- Mayo Moran, Chair, Professor, Faculty of Law, and Provost & Vice-Chancellor of Trinity College
- John Borrows, Professor, Faculty of Law, and Loveland Chair in Indigenous Law
- Tad Brown, Counsel, Business Affairs and Advancement, University Advancement
- David Cameron, Professor, Political Science
- Annabelle Dravid, Graduate student member of the Governing Council; MPP student, Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy
- Susan Hill, Associate Professor, Indigenous Studies and Department of History, and Director, Centre for Indigenous Studies
- Shirley Hoy, Alumna, Senior Advisor, StrategyCorp, and former Chair of the Governing Council
- Akwasi Owusu-Bempah, Associate Professor, Sociology, UTM
- Susan Mazza, Special Projects Officer and Committee Secretariat
- Terms of Reference for the Standing Committee on Recognition
- Announcement of Standing Committee on Recognition
- Report of the Presidential Advisory Committee on Principles to Guide Recognition and Commemoration
- Administrative Response to the Report of the Presidential Advisory Committee
- Terms of Reference for the Presidential Advisory Committee
Questions regarding the Standing Committee may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Presidential Advisory Committee on Principles to Guide Recognition and Commemoration was established in June 2022 and delivered its report in the Spring of 2023. The administrative response, which accepted all of the recommendations of the Advisory Committee, was shared with the University community in May 2023.
One of the Advisory Committee’s recommendations was to establish a Standing Committee to consider matters related to recognition and commemoration, with the membership to be determined by the President and Vice-President & Provost. The inaugural Standing Committee on Recognition was announced by President Meric Gertler and Vice-President and Provost Cheryl Regehr in November 2023.