10 Permanent Residents and Machine Ready Passports

PDAD&C #10, 2004-2005


TO:   Principals, Deans, Academic Directors and Chairs  
FROM: Vivek Goel, Vice-President and Provost
DATE:  August 31, 2004
RE:   Permanent Residents and Machine-Ready Passports

If you are a Permanent Resident of Canada traveling to the U.S., please note the following information and if this applies to you, ensure that your passport is machine-readable. 

Starting October 26, 2004 (and in some cases October 1, 2004), Permanent Residents of Canada must have a non-immigrant visa or Border Crossing Card (also known as “Laser Visa”) unless the permanent resident is a national of a country that participates in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), meets the VWP requirements, and is seeking to enter the U.S. for 90 days or less under that Program.  Permanent Residents from VWP countries must present a machine-readable passport (a passport that has biographical data entered on the data page according to international specifications) when entering the U.S.  For additional information and a list of participating countries in the VWP, please access the U.S. Department of State website at: