Update on Research-Related Policies
|To:||Principals, Deans, Academic Directors and Chairs|
|From:||Professor Paul Young, Vice-President, Research and Innovation|
|Date:||November 7, 2013|
|Re:||Update on Research-Related Policies|
Please note that a revised Inventions Policy and a new Research Administration Policy for the
University of Toronto have been approved by Governing Council. Copies of both Policies, as
well as the Guideline on Full Cost Recovery In Research and Research Administration Guideline
associated with the Research Administration Policy, are available on the Policies, Guidelines and
Procedures page of the Research and Innovation website. The Policies are also available on the
policies page of the Governing Council website.
The new Research Administration Policy
The new Policy and associated Guidelines replace the University of Toronto Policy on Research
Agreements and the Recovery of Indirect Costs of Research. Key objectives of the new Policy
and Guidelines include:
• greater policy and procedural accessibility and transparency for the University research
• clarification of roles and responsibilities to enhance accountability and reduce risk;
• heightened emphasis on the importance of indirect cost recovery;
• definitional and procedural differentiation between research agreements and other types of
agreements (donations to research, service agreements).
The revised Inventions Policy
The previous University of Toronto Inventions Policy was approved by Governing Council in
2007, replacing a policy approved in 1990 and amended in 2002. Key objectives of the new
• explicit inclusion of librarians;
• a streamlined path for inventors who take personal ownership of their inventions, including
removal of the obligation to obtain University consent for their further assignments or
• a more accessible Policy with greater transparency regarding the sharing and distribution of
• clarification of signing authority with respect to invention-related documents;
• updates to current title of offices and office-holders.
Should you have any questions regarding the policies, please feel free to contact me or Judith
Chadwick, Assistant Vice-President (email@example.com).