Call for Nominations for the Advisory Committee for the appointment of Dean, School of Graduate Studies
|To:||School of Graduate Studies
Principals, Deans, Academic Directors and Chairs
Members of the Graduate Students' Union
|From:||Cheryl Misak, Vice-President and Provost|
|Date:||June 28, 2013|
|Re:||Call for Nominations for the Advisory Committee for the appointment of Dean, School of Graduate Studies|
|cc:||President David Naylor
Professor Brian Corman will complete his term as Dean of the School of Graduate Studies on June 30, 2014. Dean Corman is eligible for re-appointment.
In accordance with Section 61 of the Policy on Appointment of Academic Administrators, I am writing to call for nominations of individuals to serve on the advisory committee that will advise the President on the appointment of a Dean.
The Policy on Appointment of Academic Administrators mandates the composition of the advisory committee as follows:
• The Vice-President and Provost (Chair);
• One member of the teaching staff from each of the divisions of the School of Graduate Studies;
• One Dean of a Faculty or School;
• One Chair of a graduate department;
• One Director of a graduate Centre or Institute;
• One to three graduate students; and
• A librarian, where appropriate.
• In addition, the committee may include an alumnus/a, a member of the administrative staff, and a qualified individual from outside the University.
In keeping with the University's established practice of conducting divisional reviews at the end of a Dean's term, the advisory committee will review the progress made by SGS towards meeting the goals of the Towards 2030 framework (including The View from 2012) and the recommendations of the 2005 Task Force on Graduate Education. The School will conduct a self-study that will be considered by the advisory committee in their review. The advisory committee will begin meeting this fall.
Nominations for the committee should be sent by July 31, 2013, via the Vice-President and Provost's web site online form at: http://www.provost.utoronto.ca/committees/advisory/sgs.htm.
Questions and comments may be directed to Assistant Provost Archana Sridhar (email@example.com).