Information Technology Services Organizational Review
PDAD&C #46, 2006-07
|From:||Vivek Goel, Vice-President and Provost|
|Date:||March 8, 2007|
|Re:||Information Technology Services Organizational Review|
A review is being initiated of the University’s Information Technology (IT) Services organization. University-wide and divisional information technology services will be included in the exercise.
The review will be conducted in two phases, and will consider the following:
- What functions, today and looking to the future, are needed by students, faculty and staff to interact, communicate, study, perform research, manage operations and support services?
- Based on these requirements, what kind of governance and organisational structure is needed to ensure that these services are efficiently deployed and maintained at an appropriate level?
The review will address the structure and administration of IT services — clarifying roles and responsibilities, priority-setting methods, funding, evaluation, standards, security, and attempting to define the way to best balance centrally-provided and divisional IT services.
The review committee membership is:
- Vivek Goel (Chair), Vice-President and Provost
- Cathy Riggall, Vice-President, Business Affairs
- Cathy Whiteside, Dean, Faculty of Medicine
- Pekka Sinervo, Dean, Faculty of Arts and Science
- Brian Cantwell Smith, Dean, Faculty of Information Studies
- Tattersall Smith, Dean, Faculty of Forestry
- Ragnar-Olaf Buchweitz, Vice-Principal (Academic) and Dean, UTSC
- Joe Weinberg, CAO, OISE/UT
- Jonathan Rose, Chair, Electrical and Computer Engineering, APSC
- Joan Leishman, Director, Gerstein Science Information Centre, UTL
- Kumar Murty, Chair, Department of Mathematical and Computational Sciences, UTM
- Marden Paul (assessor)
- Sheree Drummond (secretary)
During the first phase, data about current IT services will be collected through a short self-study exercise to be completed by each IT provider, central and divisional. Information about the review’s progress will be communicated through the PDAD&C listserv. Comments may be submitted to email@example.com . Completion of the review’s first phase is targeted for May 2007.