53 Nominations for the Faculty and Staff Experience Survey Advisory Committee
PDAD&C # 53, 2005-06
|To:||Principals, Deans, Academic Directors and Chairs|
Vivek Goel, Vice President and Provost
|Date:||December 15, 2005|
|Re:||Nominations for the Faculty and Staff Experience Survey Advisory Committee|
As part of our commitment in Stepping Up to be an employer of choice, the University of Toronto will undertake a survey of its workforce in April 2006 to assess their experience of employment at the University. We expect that the survey will become an important part of assessing our progress towards our objectives. Entitled the University of Toronto Faculty and Staff Experience Survey (UTFSES), it is a joint initiative of the Office of the Vice President and Provost and the Office of the Vice President Human Resources and Equity. A small working group within these two offices has begun considering the potential content for the surveys and the options for their administration, with the assistance of outside consultants. The following objectives have been identified:
- To create internal benchmarks against which progress can be measured
- To create external benchmarks for comparison with peer institutions
- To identify areas of the work experience that are important to employees
- To identify areas for improvement.
In order to progress with the survey we are now calling for nominations for the UTFSES Advisory Committee. Working with external consultants who will compile and administer the survey, the general mandate of the group will be to advise on the design, content and administration of the survey. The Advisory Committee will consist of relevant stakeholders and could include:
- Academics with expertise in workplace surveys
- Administrative staff with subject matter expertise (i.e. Equity Officers, Human Resources)
- Representatives from the Unions at the University
- A University of Toronto Faculty Association representative
- Representatives from PDAD&C
- Administrative staff leaders
The Committee will be co-chaired by a representative from each of the Office of the Vice President and Provost and the Office of the Vice President Human Resources and Equity.
The terms of reference for the Committee are as follows:
Provide input and advice regarding the content of the questionnaire
- Advise on a process for the administration of the survey
- Facilitate the administration of the survey amongst their constituencies
- Provide a forum for the discussion of the results of the survey
- Advise on the response taken by divisions to the results of the survey.
The committee will play an important role in ensuring that the survey meets the objectives described above. Initially the Committee will meet on three occasions in January, February and early March as follows:
- 17th January, 12pm-2pm, Council Chamber, Simcoe Hall
- 16th February, 3pm-5pm, Croft Chapter House, University College
- 8th March, 10am-12pm, Croft Chapter House, University College
Follow-up meetings in September will examine the results of the survey.
Please consider whether you would wish to nominate someone as either an expert in the field or as a representative of your division or department.
Comments and nominations for the University of Toronto Faculty and Staff Experience Survey Advisory Committee should be sent to Sara-Jane Finlay, Director, Faculty Renewal, email@example.com by January 6, 2006.