68 Call for Nominations for the Search Committee for Dean of the Faculty of Medicine
PDAD&C #68, 2004-05
Staff and Students of the Faculty of Medicine Principals, Deans, Academic Directors, and Chairs
|From:||Vivek Goel, Vice-President and Provost|
|Date:||March 29, 2005|
|Re:||Call for Nominations for the Search Committee for Dean of the Faculty of Medicine|
|CC:||Interim President F. Iacobucci
On June 30, 2006, Professor David Naylor will complete his term as Dean of the Faculty of Medicine. In accordance with Section 60 of the Policy on Appointment of Academic Administrators, I am writing to call for nominations of individuals to serve on the search committee that will advise the President on the appointment of a Dean.
The Policy mandates the potential composition of the search committee as follows:
- Vice-President and Provost or designate (Chair);
- Three to five members of the teaching staff of the Faculty;
- One to three students of the Faculty;
- The Dean of the School of Graduate Studies or representative;
- A librarian, where appropriate;
- Two or three other qualified scholars from within or outside this University, but outside the Faculty;
- In addition, the committee may include an alumnus/a, a member of the administrative staff, and a senior member of the appropriate professional community.
In keeping with the University’s established practice of conducting periodic divisional reviews at the end of a Dean or Principal’s term, the Faculty will conduct a self-study and an external review team will be visiting the Faculty from May 31st to June 1st, 2005. The external reviewers will be asked to comment on specific issues related to leadership and administration, and the role of the Dean’s Office within the Faculty. The self-study, the Faculty’s academic plan and the report of the external reviewers will be considered by the search committee in their review.
The search committee will begin meeting by the fall with the objective of completing the search during the fall term. Nominations for the committee should be sent via the Provost’s web site online form at www.provost.utoronto.ca > Committees > Search Committees (http://www.provost.utoronto.ca/English/Search-Committees.html ).
Nominations should be sent by April 18, 2005. Questions should be directed to Helen Lasthiotakis, Director, Policy and Planning by phone at 416.946.0501 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.